meet the instructors
- Billy Mabrey (affectionatley called "Mr. Billy" by his students) is a fine arts graduate from Southern Methodist University and has been teaching drawing, digital arts, and many other subjects to kids and adults in the Keller area since 2008.
- Liz Bonham holds BFA degree in painting from Abilene Christian University. She has been a demonstration artist at the Amarillo Art Institute and has taught Advanced Placement Studio Art in Texas for many years.
- Jacquelyn Sorenson is a self-taught artist born and raised in Grapevine, TX. She spent most of her childhood drawing, painting, or coming up with something creative to do. Now she is a full time working Artist, loving life, and very blessed she gets to share a little piece of her passion with the world.
- Chris Brandley, an award winning artist, graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Baylor University and is a professionally certified art educator. She has over 25 years of teaching experience, including teaching art in the public schools, training artists on the job, as well as teaching adult workshops and classes.
Elm Street Studio offers a variety of art classes throughout the year for students as young as 5 up to adults. Throughout the year many different instructors hold classes at the studio.
- Ages teen to adult
- 9:30am to 4:00pm (1-hour lunch break)
- July 28-29 (2-day workshop)
- $250.00 - Supplies required, see LIST
- This workshop will include step by step demonstrations, one on one individual easel time, and fun exercises to learn how to loosen up and create bold, colorful paintings. Chris uses the "Alla Prima" method of painting (working wet into wet) and will teach you how to layer with transparent and opaque oils, and how to keep your paints from getting muddy. She will show you how to take an ordinary photograph, and use artistic license to paint from the heart by infusing clean, bold color, loose brush strokes, and beautiful lighting. There will be an emphasis on color mixing, composition, brushwork, and more. Learn to see "Impressionistically," and explore your ability to "suggest" rather than "render" the subject. Come prepared to have a relaxing, fun-filled learning experience. This class is for all levels of painting from beginners to advanced! It is designed to help you take your painting to the next level.
Oil Painting in the Alla Prima Style - with Chris Brandley
Summer 2017 Classes
Note: Spring classes end May 25th
- Ages 5 to 7
- 4:30 to 5:30pm
- Jun 12 - Jul 31 (7 week session no class Jul 3)
- $105 supplies included. Fee prorated by $12/missed class for late registrants
- A drawing class geared for younger artists to explore realistic drawing, improve hand-eye coordination, light logic, and coloring techniques through different media like markers, colored pencils, and oil pastel.
Basic Drawing - with Mr. Billy
- Age 10 and up
- 4:30 to 6:30 pm
- Jun 13 - Aug 1 (7 week session no class Jul 4)
- $175 supplies needed. Fee prorated by $18/ missed class for late registrants
- Students will use Krita, a popular free digital painting program, to explore digital painting techniques, pixel art, and 2D animation. Students are required to bring their own laptops to class. A Wacom or Bamboo (or other brand) drawing tablet is also required. Graphics tablets come in a variety of sizes, the larger being more expensive and designed for professionals. Typically the smaller ones range from $30 to $100 in price. This is a great course for older students, teens, even adults looking to expand their traditional drawing skills. You can download Krita free from Krita.org.
Digital Painting/Animation in Krita- with Mr. Billy
- Ages 8 to 12
- 4:30 to 6 pm
- Jun 14 - Aug 2 (7 week session no class Jul 5)
- $140 supplies included. Fee prorated by $16/missed class for late registrants
- A drawing class for kids where we explore a variety of artistic techniques including light logic, color theory, realistic drawing, human proportion, and perspective. We will use markers, color pencil, graphite pencils, and oil pastel to draw animals, people, architecture, and just about anything!
Drawing Fundamentals - with Mr. Billy
- Age 12 and up
- 5 to 7pm
- Jun 15 - Aug 3 (8 week session no class Jul 6)
- $175 supplies included. Fee prorated by $20/missed class for late registrants
- A realistic drawing course for teens and adults of any skill level. We will use marker and color pencil techniques, explore graphite and pen drawing, and explore a variety of subjects each week. Students are encouraged to develop their own ideas related to each project. Emphasis is placed upon building skills of shading, form, perspective, composition, layering, drawing people, and color theory.
Teen/Adult Drawing - with Mr. Billy
Payment Policies: Classes and camps must be paid in full prior to start date in order to save the student's spot. Returned check charge is $35. A sibling discount of 10% off the lowest cost class/camp is applicable only when registering two or more children from the same family and paying for both/all children at the same time.